- Down payment and closing cost, and pre-paid expenses associated with buying a home
- Dollar amount is based on financial need
- Homebuyers may qualify for up to $40,000 in assistance
- Standard DPA: Up to$14,999 in a forgivable, 0% interest loan
- Shared Equity DPA: Up to$40,000 in a forgivable, 0% interest loan with shared equity
- Sales and/or appraisal price of the home cannot exceed $243,000
Texas is a great place to live! There are many programs that encourage home ownership at the State and local level.They include down payment assistance, equity sharing, mortgage credit certificates, first time buyer programs, programs for teachers, firefighter, police officers, Veterans and many other programs. As a Texas Affordable Housing Specialist (TAHS) I can assist in directing you to the programs you may be eligible for. Many of the programs will require that you take a home buyer Education course.
Check to see if you and or the home you are considering are eligible.
Just click on the Find Down Payments button to the left or Find Down Payments page.
These are just a few of the programs available:
What are the loan options and assistance available to help an individual purchase a home in Texas?
TDHCA Texas Homeownership Division offers two types of assistance:
30-year fixed low interest rate mortgage loans with up to 5% of loan amount to assist with down-payment and/or closing cost. Mortgage Credit Certificates that provide the home buyer with up to $2,000 every year as a special federal income tax credit based on the interest paid on the mortgage loan
Homes for Texas Heroes Program
The Homes for Texas Heroes Home Loan Program provides home buyer assistance specifically to teachers, police and correctional officers, fire fighters and EMS personnel, and veterans.
- Police Officers:
- Correctional Officers:
- Fire Fighters and EMS Personnele.
- A 30-year fixed interest rate mortgage loan, several rates and loan options available
- Down payment assistance (DPA) 3% to 5% of the loan amount
- You do not have to be a first-time homebuyer
- Not required to live in the home for any set period of time
- DPA is a gift that never needs to be repaid
- Available statewide through a network of participating lenders
First-time buyers can also apply for a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC). Texas Heroes who use our DPA and MCC assistance together will receive their MCC for free-- a $500 savings!
Don't meet the profession requirements?
TSAHC’s Home Sweet Texas Home Loan is available to low and moderate-income home buyers, regardless of their profession.
The Down Payment Assistance Program (DPA) covers the down payment in a deferred 0% interest loan foreligible "first-time homebuyers" to assist with purchasing a home located within theAustin City Limits.
What does DPA cover?
Am I eligible?